LONG-TERM VOLUNTEERING ON THE FARM (WWOOFing)
Long-term volunteers work alongside the field crew roughly four 8-hour days per week. Daily activities include seeding, bed preparation, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, washing, packing, animal chores, construction projects, farmstand work, farm-based education, etc. The work is hard, but also highly educational and rewarding. Volunteers need not have farm experience, but must be enthusiastic about growing food.
- We ask a minimum of one month commitment and prefer at least two months. We are able to accommodate live-in volunteers from April through the end of October.
- Food, housing and kitchen and bath amenities are included in WWOOF experience. Tenting is also an option.
- Evening and weekend activities include fishing, swimming (sandy beaches located within 1 mile), hiking, music making and attending various organization sponsored events.
- During the week, we share all meals and rotate cooking responsibilities. Vegetarian and vegan diets are accommodated.
- Children and pets are not allowed.
- Public transportation is available from Manhattan, Boston and New London, CT, to Greenport, NY, which is just a short ferry ride away from Shelter Island.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2018 season. If you are interested in WWOOFing, please apply using the form below.
MORE INFO ON WWOOF USA: